Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Size does matter

Some French scientists have been looking into why we see different sized water droplets during a rain event, as seen in this report from MSNBC.com. One theory is that smaller water drops collide and collesce into larger water drops as they move through a storm cloud. This new study instead considers the movement on the droplet as it falls. They even have video of this (via LiveScience.com... there's an add before the video which may or may not have sound). The video shows a water drop falling, flattening out, talking on air at it falls, and then shattering into smaller droplets. It's an interesting theory and one that I'm sure will get some more looks in the meteorological research field.
In other weather news, it's hot in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not a fan of 100 degrees temps myself. Then again, I don't know any sane people who are. And don't give me the ol' "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" line either. Because it's humid there too. Plus, an oven is a dry heat too, but that's doesn't mean I want to sit in one.

No comments: